Why this post?
I am a Linux tech, however, I also have some responsibilities to share some precautions for Windows users to stay away from Wanna Cry attack. As it’s causing bulk issues in IT resource. Almost all countries are now facing trouble with this criminal un-ethical Hack.
I am posting some precautions and steps how we can stay away from Wanna Cry. I guess that you all are aware of this VIRUS attack.
See what Wiki says;
The WannaCry ransomware attack is an ongoing cyber-attack of the Wanna Cry ransomware computer worm targeting the Microsoft Windows operating system. The attack started on Friday, 12 May 2017, infecting more than 230,000 computers in 150 countries, with the software demanding ransom payments in the cryptocurrency Bitcoin in 28 languages.
Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency and a digital payment system invented by an unknown programmer, or a group of programmers, under the name Satoshi Nakamoto. It was released as open-source software in 2009.
The system is peer-to-peer, and transactions take place between users directly, without an intermediary. These transactions are verified by network nodes and recorded in a public distributed ledger called the block chain. Since the system works without a central repository or single administrator, bitcoin is called the first decentralized digital currency.
More : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
What we can do to stay away from Wanna Cry?
See some suggestions from MicroSoft:
- Be careful that not to click on harmful links in your emails.
- Beware of visiting unsafe or unreliable sites.
- Never click on a link that you do not trust on a web page or access to Facebook or messaging applications such as WhatsApp and other applications.
- If you receive a message from your friend with a link, ask him before opening the link to confirm, (infected machines send random messages with links).
- Keep your files backed up regularly and periodically.
- Be aware of fraudulent e-mail messages that use names similar to popular services such as PayePal instead of PayPal or use popular service names without commas or excessive characters.
- Use anti virus and Always make have the latest update.
- Make sure your windows have the latest update to close the gap.
Please keep your system / server updated. The entry of the virus to your device, which is dependent on a gap in the Windows system and the gap is present in all types of Windows is that the feature is open.
If you didn’t update your windows, just turn off SMP file sharing feature. We can turn this feature OFF by doing the following ways.
Option I : From Programs and Features
Step 1 : Go to “Control Panel >> Programs >> Programs and Features“
Step 2 : Click on “Turn windows features on or off.“
Step 3 : Remove check Box SMB1.0/CIF Filse Sharing Support.
Step 4 : Save and reboot.
A reboot is required to complete the udate.
Option 2 : Using a tool to disable SMB
Download the exe file and execute with administrator privilege.
After disabling SMB, please reboot the system.
Keep your system safe and clean from Malware!!!
One thought on “What you can do? See what experts say about Wanna cry!”
Thanks so much for these tips. I’m so interested to see how you can avoid Wanna Cry. I wonder if vmware flings can help you do this as well.