Why this blog post?
Selecting a better OS is the first part to configure a personal computer. It will help you to improve a better user experience with your PC or Laptop. It has a good role in your daily working activities on your computer. Yeah, it’s time to start a discussion on good OS distributions under Linux.
As it is an open source OS, there are wide verity of distros available under Linux. A good OS selection is directly depends on whatever you are working with your system. Linux is purely task oriented.
I am listing some of the Best Linux OS distributions and its latest features in this blog post. If you are a newbie to Linux, hold on, and read the post completely and select a good one suitable for your daily work.
Linux is just Awesome!!
1. Linux Mint
In my personal work experience, I do prefer Linux Mint in first position. It is an easy and powerful OS under Linux distribution. Linux Mint is a modern, elegant and comfortable Linux operating system based on Debian and Ubuntu. The installation and usage are simple for both newbies and experienced users.
The main advantage of Linux Mint over other Linux distributions is the support of multimedia. Linux Mint provides full out-of-the-box multimedia support by including some proprietary software and comes bundled with a variety of free and open-source applications.
The inbuilt support of out-of-the-box multimedia has ended since Mint version 18.xx. However, you can install it after the OS installation. Upto the version 17.xx this feature was the famous attraction to this OS.
Not a problem, they just stopped shipping multimedia codec with the OS, but you can install it later, LOL!!
Latest version : Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
More about : https://linuxmint.com/
Download latest Mint –> Click Here
User guide is available there! The installation is simple. Linux Mint can be booted and run from a USB flash drive on any PC capable of booting from a USB drive!
Linux Mint Features.
1. Bydefault the Linux Mint installation comes with a wide range of software such as LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, HexChat, Pidgin, Transmission, VLC media player etc
2. There are options to download and install packages using package manager.
3. Firewall. You can manage networking ports using pre installed firewall. Customized port selection available by default.
4. Desktop supports many languages.
5. Linux Mint supports many features developed by Microsoft Windows such as Microsoft Office.
6. It supports virtualization software including VMware Workstation and VirtualBox, or KVM.
7. Most of the development is done in Python and the source code is available on GitHub.
Ubuntu is published by Canonical Ltd. Another, commonly using Linux distro. Most of the PCs and Laps in offices are installed with Ubuntu. Seems they are comfortable with Ubuntu for their daily work.
The support from Ubuntu is best. I think this is one of the reasons to chose Ubuntu globally. Their online forum is also user friendly and easy to catch.
Ubuntu 17.04 has arrived, go ahead and install/update the version to 17.04.
Ubuntu is also a Debian based OS. This OS is suitable for personal computers, Laptops, Tabs and Smart phones. Ubuntu server editions is also available which is suitable for both Virtual and Physical servers.
Latest version : 17.04
More about : https://www.ubuntu.com/
Download latest Ubuntu : Click Here
Features of Ubuntu
1. It comes with many software packages like LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Transmission, and several lightweight games such as Sudoku and chess.
2. Ubuntu Software Center for more additional packages.
3. Easy to install packages.
4. User friendly and easy to use.
The project Debian was first announced in 1993 and the first stable release was made in 1996. So it has around 23 years of presence as Linux OS. Cool..!
Debian supports Linux officially, offered kFreeBSD for version 7. Debian offers DVD and CD images for installation that can be downloaded using BitTorrent or jigdo. The installation of Debian on PC and Lap is pretty simple.
Latest version : 8
More about : https://www.debian.org/
Download latest Debian : Click Here
Features of Debian
1. Debian offers DVD and CD images for installation that can be downloaded using BitTorrent or jigdo.
2. Largest software collection.
3. Debian has access to online repositories that contain over 50,000 software packages.
4. By default, Debian contains only open source software. However, if you wish, you can download and install paid software on Debian OS.
5. Debian includes popular free programs such as LibreOffice, Firefox, Evolution mail, K3b disc burner, VLC media player, GIMP image editor etc..
OpenSUSE formerly SUSE Linux and SuSE Linux Professional, is a Linux-based project and distribution sponsored by SUSE Linux GmbH and other companies. This OS is completely designed for Linux professionals. openSUSE supports thousands of software packages across the full range of free software / open source development.
Like other OS OpenSUSE also support both graphical and command-line interfaces. You can select the interface as you wish.
Latest version : openSUSE 42.3 Alpha
More about : https://www.opensuse.org/
Download OpenSUSE : Click Here
Important Features of OpenSUSE
1. Easy to manage hard disk partitioning, system setup, RPM package management, online updates, network and firewall configuration, user administration and more in an integrated interface using YaST. Yet another Setup Tool is abbreviated as YaST.
2. AutoYaST for automatic installation.
3. OpenSUSE has a powerful dependency resolver called ZYpp package management.
4. Modern graphical interface.
5. Arch Linux
It is a binary based Linux distribution. Arch Linux is now available in both 32 and 64 bit configuration and they are planning to stop support of 32 bit from this year November. The installation is bit complicated, so it’s not recommended for newbies.
Arch Linux is a globally approved and commonly using Linux OS. The design approach of the development team follows the KISS principle (“keep it simple, stupid“). The Arch Linux website supplies ISO images that can be run from CD or USB.
More about : https://www.archlinux.org/
Download Arch Linux : Click Here
Arch Linux Features
1. Pacman package manager. Arch Linux has its own package manager able to track dependencies automatically.
2. All packages are managed using the pacman package manager.
3. Pacman handles package installation, upgrades, removal, and downgrades, and features automatic dependency resolution.
4. Arch User Repository (AUR) for user made PKGBUILD scripts for packages not included in the repositories.
6. Community ENTerprise Operating System (CentOS)
This Linux distro is commonly using in server side. The desktop version is available for CentOS, however, it is not much familiar as others. They are always trying to improve the graphical interface for a better user experience.
It is a good alternative for Red Hat Enterprise Linux. This is also binary based Linux distro.
Latest stable release : CentOS 7
More about : https://www.centos.org/
Download CentOS : Click Here
Features of CentOS
1. Exactly same as RHEL.
2. Easy to use in servers.
3. Binary based Linux distribution.
4. CentOS runs only the most stable versions of packaged software. This greatly reduces the risk of crashes and errors.
5. Impressive security features.
Fedora is an another commonly using Linux desktop distro. The interesting thing is, the founder of Linux, Linus Torvalds is also using Fedora as desktop OS. Fedora has more than 1.2 million users.
Fedora is built and maintained by the Fedora Project.
Latest stable release : Fedora 25 Workstation
More about : https://getfedora.org/
Download workstation : Click Here
These are the commonly using Linux distros for desktops. I will update this blog post with some more OS soon.
You can select whatever you want on your system.